Mission & Vision
Growing out of Redeemer’s mission to offer a university education that is biblically directed and explores the relation of faith, learning, and living, Act Five is a response to the growing number of young adults who are looking for an extra year with new experiences to help them develop and bridge the gap from high school to post-secondary education or other pursuits.
Act Five is largely influenced by a Reformed worldview, while seeking to be intentionally ecumenical in how it equips a range of students from various Christian backgrounds to follow Jesus in every area of their lives. Our mission & vision extend out of this:
To facilitate Christian discipleship of young people through community, learning and practices designed to
- Grow their Christian faith and character
- Equip them for future pathways as rooted and engaged followers of Jesus
We see young adults thriving as kingdom citizens, walking faithfully in the contexts of school, church, neighbourhood, and work.
Within our Gap Year program, students will…
- Reflect on their story and grow deeper in their faith
- Imagine the world around them with fresh eyes
- Practice justice in loving their neighbours
- Prepare for what lies ahead
We grow up spending a lot of time learning the right ideas. But there is so much in us that has to catch up. If we don’t give time to that now, when will we? Why are we in such a rush?
Jon BerendsGap Year Director
Goals for gap year students
- To know, experience and grow practices toward a life with God
- By engaging with scripture and Christian testimony
- By learning to share their own stories
- By practicing spiritual disciplines and other rhythms that shape who they/we are
- To grow as citizens of God’s Kingdom while engaging as citizens in the world around us.
- By witnessing and learning from different expressions of Christian vocation
- By participating in service, work, and community engagement opportunities in and around Hamilton
- By learning of relevant issues of justice and history, both locally and globally
- To grow in character and discern / prepare for future pathwaysBy living and learning in community with regular mentorship
- By exploring outside comfort zones
- By exploring gifts, passions and vocation through a range of experiences, lessons and supports